Associate Professor of Radiation and Cellular Oncology
Dr. Aydogan's research specifically relates to tumor tracking and targeting in realtime, development and implementation of Total Marrow Irradiation techniques for the treatment of advanced hematological malignancies in adult and pediatric patients, bone marrow sparing IMRT in malignancies contained in pelvic region, development of localization and immobilization techniques, image guided brachytherapy applications in GYN cancers, and measurement and characterization of 3D dynamic therapy dose distribution. He has dedicated his career to investigating these issues in order to improve the quality of cancer care.
Currently, he has one active clinical trial entitled "Intensity Modulated Total Marrow Irradiation (IM-TMI) for Advanced Hematologic Malignancies," as well as two under preparation. Dr. Aydogan also serves as principal investigator for active grants funded by Argonne National Laboratory and Varian Medical Systems.
Because of his research accomplishments, Dr. Aydogan has been invited to give oral presentations at over 15 conferences, and he has had multiple peer-reviewed publications and abstracts published. In addition, his expertise has led to his contribution to several medical physics textbooks, including IGRT: A Clinical Perspective.
- M Surucu, M Yeginer, G Kavak, J Fan, JA Radosvich, B Aydogan, "Verification of volumetric modulated arc therapy total marrow irradiation (VMAT-TMI) dose distribution in human-like phantom," Medical Physics, 39(1), January 2012.
- Aydogan B., M Yeginer, JR Roeske, "Total marrow irradiation with RapidArc volumetric arc therapy," Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2011 Feb. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mathew, B et al. "Role of sphingolipids in murine radiation-induced lung injury: protection by sphingosine 1-phosphate analogs," The J Fed Am Soc Expl Biol, October 2011 vol. 25 no. 10 3388-3400.
- Tarjan G, GK Haines III, BJ Vesper, J Xue, MB Altman, Y Yamolyuk, KM Elseth, JC Roeske, B Aydogan, JA Radosevich, "Initial molecular and cellular characterization of high nitric oxide-adapted human tongue squamus cell carcinoma cell lines," Tumor Biol: 2011 Feb; 32(1):87-89.
- Yeginer M, JR Roeske, B Aydogan, "Linear accelerator-based intensity-modulated total marrow irradiation technique for treatment of hematologic malignancies: a dosimetric feasibility study," Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2011 Mar 15; 79(4): 1256-65.