The lab is under the leadership of Assistant Professor Rodney D. Wiersma. Dr. Wiersma recieved his Ph.D. in physics from the Max-Plack-Institute FKF, Stuttgart, Germany in 2006 and was a Postdoctoral Fellow at Stanford University from 2006-2008. He has been at The University of Chicago since 2009.
Research in the Wiersma lab is focused on the following projects:
- The use of robotics for performing real-time patient head motion cancellation during frameless stereotactic radiosurgery.
- Hybrid MV+kV treatment plan optimization for reduction kV imaging dose overhead during image guided radiation therapy (IGRT).
- Real-time internal organ motion tracking during radiation treatment based on combined MV+kV imaging.
- Kang HJ, Grelewicz Z, Wiersma RD. Development of an automated region of interest selection method for 3D surface monitoring of head motion. Med Phys. 2012 Jun;39(6):3270-82. PubMed PMID: 22755710.
- Belcher A, Wiersma R. SU-E-J-157: Simulation and Design of a Real-Time 6D Head Motion Compensation Platform Based on a Stewart Platform Approach. Med Phys. 2012 Jun;39(6):3688-9. PubMed PMID: 22756125.
- Li J, Wiersma RD, Stepaniak CJ, Farrey KJ, Al-Hallaq HA. Improvements in dose accuracy delivered with static-MLC IMRT on an integrated linear accelerator control system. Med Phys. 2012 May;39(5):2456-62. PubMed PMID: 22559616.
- Grelewicz Z, Kang H, Wiersma RD. An EPID based method for performing high accuracy calibration between an optical external marker tracking device and the LINAC reference frame. Med Phys. 2012 May;39(5):2771-9. PubMed PMID: 22559649; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3350542.
- Liu W, Wiersma RD, Xing L. Optimized hybrid megavoltage-kilovoltage imaging protocol for volumetric prostate arc therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Oct 1;78(2):595-604. Epub 2010 May 14. PubMed PMID: 20472354.